If you’re not sure where to start in reducing your waste, Plastic Free July is the perfect way to begin your journey.
What is Plastic Free July?Plastic Free July is a key initiative of the Plastic Free Foundation that allows everyone to work towards a world free of plastic waste. Since launching 10 years ago in 2011, the initiative has involved millions of people around the world. In the simplest form, it encourages individuals, corporations and communities to break the ties to single-use plastic.
You can hold events, spread the word within your community or simply take the journey as an individual.
In July 2020 alone, an estimated 326 million people across the globe took part in the challenge from 177 countries. A study revealed that 29% of people surveyed worldwide were aware of the Plastic Free July challenge and almost half of those chose to take part in 2018.
As a result, the organisation has determined that Plastic Free July participants...
- Reduce their household waste and recycling by 21kg per person per year (almost 5%)
- Contribute to a total saving of 940 million kg of plastic waste each year
- 8.5 out of 10 people made changes that have become habits/a way of life
Why and how should I get involved?
This is a great way to start your plastic free journey or reinspire friends and family as to why a low impact way of life can be beneficial!
To get started, PFJ recommends cutting out these easy swaps
- Reusable water bottles instead of single-use plastic bottles
- Reusable coffee cups rather than takeaway cups
- Loose fruit and vegetables loose or in reusable produce bags
- Tote/net/resuable bags for your shopping
- Paper/metal/bamboo straws over plastic ones
- Tupperware for buying fish/meat/deli items or takeaway food
- Plan ahead with lunch rather than buying pre-packed meals
Throughout the month of July, we'll also be posting various tips, recipes and resources via our social media and via email. Sign up to our mailing list or follow us @greenpeareco for all the latest.
If you’re still not sure where to start, PFJ has a handy ‘Pesky Plastic’ quiz to align your efforts!
Here's to a whole month (and beyond) of cutting out single use plastic. Tag us in your photos @greenpeareco